Do you know that the foods you eat influence the health of your teeth? You could be putting your teeth at a higher risk of damage based on what you eat. Many foods can increase the rate at which tooth decay will occur, while some can cause oral accidents or injuries to occur, and others can be so acidic that they eat right through tooth enamel. For a thorough list of foods and habits to avoid, see the following:
– Avoid sour candy, as it has an extremely high acidic content, with some brands having an acidity that similar to car battery acid.
– Avoid hard foods and candy, such as giant candy canes, lollipops, popcorn kernels, and popcorn balls, as they can easily chip and crack teeth or easily become lodged between teeth.
– Limit or avoid foods and drinks with excess sugar and carbs, which can be converted in your mouth into harmful acids capable of eating through tooth enamel.
– Some foods and drinks that have high acidity should never be eaten as snacks, such as citrus fruits and fruit drinks, but if you must consume them, add them as part of a larger meal to help neutralize their acids.
– Avoid or limit sticky and gummy sweets, as they regularly linger in your mouth long after consumption, vastly increasing your risk for plaque buildup and tooth decay to occur.
If you would like to discuss an oral health care treatment with Dr. Chad Latino and the rest of our team here at Chad Latino DDS PA, please schedule an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Waco, Texas. Our number is 254-230-0737. We look forward to helping you decide which options will work best in your quest for a whiter smile.